Saturday, August 22, 2015

What's More Fun Than a Barrel of Monkeys?

How about a pack of steampunk brass monkeys? These are from the Steampunk Menagerie collection that I received through a Kickstarter project a few months ago. For miniatures with some separate parts (the arms in some cases) these were easy to put together and came together pretty solidly without needing to do any pinning (just some Gorilla brand super glue! It's the what I happened to have). I generally detest multi-part figures for the fiddly-ness and fragility involved. These monkeys/apes were a delightful change. Other miniatures makers could take a lesson from them. The pledge level I made also included some steampunk crabs, but those look much more fiddly (not fiddler) and more likely to come apart easily, so I have yet to put them together. I figure these little steam simians, with their guns and swords, would make good "mooks" or hench-apes for some steampunk evil witch or mad roboticist. Enough chatter. on to the photos.

This first picture gives a better idea of the actual colors:

These other pictures maybe give a better idea of the various poses and weaponry - 5 pistol-armed and 5 sword-armed.:



5 comments:

  1. Great looking figures and I look forward to seeing them in action.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are fabulous minis and you've done a great job with them. It's such a wonderfully bizarre idea, like someone made the old Batman TV series but in 1860 instead of 1960.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, guys!
    They were very simple to paint, too. I base-coated in black as I usually do (especially for metal). Followed with bronze pretty much all over, a light wash of old GW flesh wash (the really old fliptop bottle, which will probably run out soon) - I like the extra dimension it gives to bronze/brass and to flesh. Then a heavy drybrush of the original bronze and a lighter drybrush of a brighter lighter bronze. Then just filling in the guns, swords and part of the winding mechanism with steel/iron/gunmetal colors. A couple of washes of red on the fezzes to make them look like tinted metal, and a bit of yellow for the tassels. Then the gray bases, with a few tufts of grass added.
    ha ha, Herbert, yes, that seems like a good description. Holy monkey business, Batman!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah-ha! Found you! Great to see these here and I now want to change my tassel to yellow - great job Sir.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, Michael! I think you did a much better job than I did, but I'm happy enough with mine.

    ReplyDelete